CareersWest

This is a webblog to help students with career choices

  • July 2018
    M T W T F S S
    « Jun    
     1
    2345678
    9101112131415
    16171819202122
    23242526272829
    3031  
  • Recent Posts

  • Advertisements

LCVP – Leaving Cert Vocational Programme

LEAVING CERTIFICATE VOCATIONAL PROGRAMME  (LCVP)

What is LCVP?

There are over 520 schools offering LCVP (Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme) at present. The LCVP programme was first introduced in 1994 and updated in 2004. Students taking the LCVP have a unique opportunity to develop their interpersonal, vocational and technological skills. These skills are equally relevant to the needs of those preparing for further education, seeking employment or planning to start their own business.

Students can take the regular Leaving Certificate Examination and take LCVP as an extra subject. When students receive their Leaving Certificate results, the LCVP grade is included at the end of their subject list.

What is needed to qualify for LCVP?

To qualify for LCVP, students must take the following:

  • Two subjects in her/his Leaving Certificate from any one of the combinations below (See list of Vocational Subject Groupings.
  • A continental language or a language module – unless exempt
  • Irish – unless exempt
  • A minimum of five Leaving Certificate subjects
  • Cover the LCVP course – (Consists of two link modules called Preparation for the World of Work and Enterprise Education)

 

Vocational Subject Groupings (as specified by Dept of Education & Science):

  1. Accounting, Business, Economics (any two)
  2. Art and Accounting or Business or Economics
  3. Biology and Chemistry or Physics
  4. Biology, Home Economics, Agricultural Science  (any two)
  5. Construction Studies or Design & Communication Graphics and Accounting or Business or Economics
  6. Construction Studies or Design & Communication Graphics and Physics
  7. Construction Studies and Design & Communication Graphics
  8. Home Economics and Accounting or Business or Economics
  9. Home Economics and Art
  10. Music and Accounting or Business or Economics
  11. Physics and Chemistry.
  12. Art and Design & Communication Graphics
  13. Agricultural Science and Construction Studies or DCG
  14. Agricultural Science and Chemistry or Physics
  15. Agricultural Science and Accounting or Business or Economics

 

NOTE: Under Dept of Education & Science Circular Letter 0019/2007, the LCVP requirements must be met in a single school / centre for a student to be deemed an eligible LCVP student.  

CAO POINTS FOR LEAVING CERTIFICATE VOCATIONAL PROGRAMME (LCVP)

 

LCVP AWARD

UNIVERSITIES & INSTITUTES OF TECHNOLOGY

Distinction (80 – 100%)

70 points (equivalent to grade C1 in Higher Level)

Note: grade A1 in Ordinary Level = 60 points.

Merit (65 – 79%)

50 points (equivalent to grade D2 in Higher Level / grade A2 in Ordinary Level).

Pass (50 – 64%)

30 points (equivalent to grade C1 in Ordinary Level).

 

                                                 

                                                  LCVP Course Content

60% of LCVP course is made up of portfolio work, which is completed mainly in 5th year.  The remaining 40% is examined in a written exam held in May of 6th year, so all of the LCVP work is completed in advance of the June exam.

In 5th year, there are three timetabled classes for LCVP, at least one of which is held in the computer room.

In 6th year, there are two timetabled classes for LCVP

 

Typical LCVP activities include:

  • Presentations from guest speakers from the world of work
  • Visit to places of work locally
  • Team Enterprises
  • Work Experience
  • Using Computer Technology
  • Interview Preparation and Technique
  • Learning how to write up reports and plans
  • Preparing Curriculum Vitae
  • Investigating Careers

Portfolio – 60% of exam

  1. Core items (do all four)
    1. Curriculum Vitae
    2. Summary Report (on a visit in/out)
    3. Action Plan – i.e. on learning a new skill or organising an activity
    4. Career Investigation

Note: Each of these items are 2 pages in length for portfolio purposes.

  1. Optional items (do 2 out of 4)
    1. Recorded Interview – 5 minute interview on DVD
    2. Enterprise Report – e.g. on organising and running a fashion show
    3. Report on ‘My own place’ – i.e. a brief summary of what facilities are available in their local area
    4. Diary of Work Experience – 3/5 days of a work experience placement

Note: Each of these items are 4/6 pages in length for portfolio purposes.

All students usually choose to do the Diary of Work Experience (Work experience placements take place during school holidays) As their second option, students take the Recorded Interview option (Student is interviewed for 5 minutes and the interview is recorded on DVD for exam purposes)

Written Paper – 40% of exam – takes place in May in 6th year

Section A – Audio Visual Questions:

Students watch a video featuring a business or community enterprise and answer questions on it.

Section B – Case Study:

Students read a short outline of a business or community enterprise and answer questions on it

Section C:

Students answer 4 out of 6 general questions.  Topics here include questions on careers, reports, plans, interview questions, work experience and items that have been written up in their portfolios.

 

Advantages of taking LCVP

  • For CAO purposes, the points achieved in six subjects can be used.  If a student wishes, they can use the points achieved in LCVP as one of these six subjects.  If a student performs poorly on one of their regular Leaving Certificate subjects on the day of the exam, they can swap this disappointing result for the result achieved in the LCVP exam.
  • As mentioned earlier, 60% of LCVP course is made up of portfolio work, which is completed mainly in 5th year.  The remaining 40% is examined in a written exam held in May of 6th year, so all of the LCVP work is completed in advance of the June exam.
  • Apart from its value in contributing to the overall points achieved by a student, the LCVP course develops skills involving IT, report writing, case studies, interview techniques and teamwork, all of which are very useful for third level and in employment.  The LCVP qualification provides an opportunity for students to be become better informed regarding career choices.

Overall, LCVP provides a valuable educational experience – do it, if you qualify for it.

Advertisements

One Response to “LCVP – Leaving Cert Vocational Programme”

  1. kathrina woulfe said

    can you confirm if a student wants to do music and agricultural science are they eligible for LCVP

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: